Union Plus Scholarship
Awarded annually to AFSCME members and their families
The Union Plus Scholarship program, sponsored by the Union Plus Education Foundation, helps union members and their families defray the cost of higher education. Since 1992, the program has awarded over $3 million to deserving students.
How to Apply
Visit the Union Plus site for more information and to apply online.
- Serena Allen of Palmdale, California. Allen, whose mother, Rachel Allen, is a member of United Nurses Associations of California (UNAC)/UHCP/NUHHCE/AFSCME, has been awarded a $4,000 scholarship.
- Joy Al-Nemri of Hopewell Junction, New York. Al-Nemri, whose father, Bassam Al-Nemri, is a member of Civil Service Employees Association (CSEA)/AFSCME Local 1000, has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship.
- Shannen Rikki Barrameda of Eastvale, California. Barrameda, whose father, Eric Barrameda, and mother, Eva Barrameda, are members of United Nurses Associations of California (UNAC)/UHCP/NUHHCE/AFSCME, has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship.
- Danielle Boudrow of Cambridge, Massachusetts. Boudrow, who is a member of AFSCME Local 3650 (Council 93), Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers, has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship.
- Keefer Brown of Wasilla, Alaska. Brown, whose father, Kirk Brown, is a member of Alaska State Employees Association (ASEA)/AFSCME Local 52 has been awarded a $4,000 scholarship.
- Anastasia Cusack-Mercedez of Chester, Connecticut. Cusack-Mercedez, whose father, James Cusack, is a member of AFSCME Local 2663 (Council 4), has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship.
- Nicole Doyle of Mount Vernon, Ohio. Doyle, whose father, Todd Doyle, is a member of Ohio Association of Public School Employees (OAPSE)/AFSCME Local 4, and whose mother, Penny Doyle, is a member of AFSCME Local 657 (Council 8), has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship.
- Samuel Fountain of Southborough, Massachusetts. Fountain, who is a member of State Healthcare And Research Employees (SHARE)/AFSCME Local 4000, has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship.
- Benjamin Gort of Minneapolis. Gort, whose mother, Carol Gort, is a member of AFSCME Local 517 (Council 5), has been awarded a $750 scholarship.
- Alex Hammond of Waddington, New York. Hammond, whose mother, Holly Hammond, is a member of Civil Service Employees Association (CSEA)/AFSCME Local 1000, has been awarded a $2,000 scholarship.
- Jeana Kim of Des Plaines, Illinois. Kim, whose mother, Yoomi Kim, is a member of AFSCME Local 2858 (Council 31), has been awarded a $3,000 scholarship.
- Piper Knudson of Pine City, Minnesota. Knudson, whose mother, Tiana Knudson, is a member of AFSCME Local 1539 (Council 5), has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship.
- Misty Sanchez of Yakima, Washington. Sanchez, who is a member of AFSCME Local 1326 (Council 28), has been awarded a $2,000 scholarship.
- Ken Tanaka of San José, California. Tanaka, whose mother, Mika Tanaka, is a member of AFSCME Local 101 (Council 57), has been awarded a $2,000 scholarship.
Eligibility for Scholarships
Current and retired members of unions participating in any Union Plus program, their spouses and their dependent children (including foster children, step children, and any other child for whom the individual member provides greater than 50% of his or her support) can apply for a Union Plus Scholarship. (Participating union members from Puerto Rico, Canada, Guam and Virgin Islands and U.S. citizens are eligible.) Members do not have to purchase any Union Plus program product or participate in any Union Plus programs to apply for the scholarships and scholarship awards are not based upon participation in a Union Plus program.
The individual must be accepted into an accredited college or university, community college or recognized technical or trade school at the time the award is issued. Note: Graduate students are now eligible.
The scholarship program is open to students attending or planning to attend a college or university, a community college, or a technical college or trade school. Applicants for scholarships are evaluated according to academic ability, social awareness, financial need and appreciation of labor.
Scholarship applications are judged by a committee of impartial post secondary educators.
Scholarship award amounts
The amount of the award ranges from $500 - $4,000. This is a one-time cash award sent to individual winners for study beginning in the fall of the same year.
NABET-CWA Local 16 (CWA Local 51016) New York City. The National Association of Broadcast Employees and Technicians (NABET) is the Broadcasting and Cable Sector of the Communications Workers of America (CWA).
Local 16 represents workers at the ABC Television Network and WABC-TV divisions of the Walt Disney Company, WABC-AM, WPLJ-FM, ABC Radio Networks.
NABET-CWA also represents workers at four other ABC operations in Chicago, Washington, and San Francisco/ SoCal.
To All Active/good standing Members of NABET/CWA Local 16:
There has been high interest in Drone training. So to accommodate our members, we are looking for anyone interested in this training to set up classes.
Please contact Steve Rubbinaccio with the following contact information. All information requested MUST be in the response or the member will not be considered.
Your name, address (no PO box), home and mobile number and email address.
If there is enough interest we will move forward and all information will be sent.
Please respond to Steve Rubbinaccio email@example.com
Joe Schiavo Rememberance
March 26th 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Hard Rock Cafe Yankee Stadium
One East 161st Street, Gate 6, Bronx, NY
Best Knockdown Meal Ever!
Unfortunately due to limited space we have to discourage significant others from attending.
The 2018 Union Plus Scholarship — Start Your Application Today!
Last year, 106 union members, their spouses and dependent children were awarded $150,000 in Union Plus Scholarship, ranging from $500 to $4,000,
The Union Plus Scholarship Program awards scholarships based on outstanding academic achievement, personal character, financial need and commitment to organized labor’s values. Union Plus Scholarship awards are granted to students attending a two-year college, four-year college, graduate school or a recognized technical or trade school.
The application deadline for the 2018 Union Plus Scholarship is January 31, 2018.
Register at the scholarship application site and start your online application today. You can return as many times as needed to complete your application, including the required essays and letter of recommendation section.
“Education is a vital building block for success.We’re pleased to be helping some of the labor movement’s most promising students achieve their college dreams.”
– Union Plus President, Mitch Stevens
An example of the U.S. labor movement’s commitment to higher education since 1991, the Union Plus Scholarship program has awarded more than $4.2 million, helping fulfill the educational dreams of more than 2,800 union families.
2018 NABET-CWA Memorial Scholarship Awards First Application
1. The scholarship is open to sons and daughters of active, retired, or deceased members.
2. Applicants must be students in a high school class graduating in 2018.
3. The award supplies $750.00 yearly for four years as a partial payment of tuition or other expenses to the school designated by the winner.
4. Winners must maintain at least a C+ average, or equivalent, during their four years in college and must attend full time.
The return date for the preliminary application is February 12, 2018. All applications must be verified by the Local President, in the space provided before mailing to the Sector Office at:
501 Third Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
This is a merit based scholarship. Once the first application has been returned to the NABET-CWA offices, a second application will be mailed to the student. The student must complete the forms and submit a 500-1000 word essay, transcripts, and other supporting materials. Good luck!
Info on other Union Scholarships also available at http://www.nabet16.org:
Union Plus Scholarship (AFL-CIO), due by January 31, 2018
Joe Bierne (CWA), due by April 30, 2018
CDC Flu Guidance
2017-2021 ABC NABET WAGE SCALES (NEW)
2017-2021 NABET Rates-1
2017 NABET Sector Scholarships announced (See Benefits and Scholarships)
Congratulations to two recent retirees from NTM:
Wing Chung 37 years and Mike Moran 41 years with ABC.
Joe Schiavo Passes
Retired ABC Technical Director Joe Schiavo passed away in early November.
Christopher Shelton (r.) was elected the new president of the Communications Workers of America by acclamation of delegates to the union’s 75th convention. Local 16 President Art Mazzacca and VP Jim Nolan were on hand to congratulate him.