Reckless driving is a type of traffic violation in which a driver displays complete disregard for on-the-road signs, signals, and laws. It is a common cause of car accidents, and, because it usually involves high speeds or extremely dangerous driving tactics, it often results in the injury or death of one or more people involved. Fortunately, a reckless driving accident can be prevented. By knowing reckless driving accident causes and following a few safety tips, drivers can keep themselves – and other drivers on the road – safe from harm.
Common Reckless Driving Accident Causes
A reckless driving accident is typically caused by one or more poor decisions by the driver. By following rules of the road and traffic laws, drivers can usually avoid this type of accident.
Common causes of a reckless driving accident include:
- Tailgating, or driving too close to the car in front of them.
- Failing to stop at red lights or stop signs.
- Driving too fast or exceeding the speed limit.
- Not using turn signals when changing lanes or turning.
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Driving while distracted, including talking on the phone, texting, playing with the radio, or eating.
- Failing to use headlights at night or in the rain.
- Making illegal turns or lane changes.
While these errors may not always result in a reckless driving accident, they can lead to a driver being ticketed or cited for a traffic violation. Each of these is illegal and makes the driver subject to fines, jail time, community service, and more.
Preventing a Reckless Driving Accident
Most reckless driving accidents can be prevented, simply by driving safely and per the rules of the road. Additionally, there are a few safety tips that drivers can follow to ensure they and their passengers are not victims of a dangerous reckless driving accident.
Some safety tips to prevent and avoid an accident include:
- Always steer clear of any cars or drivers that look dangerous. If you see a car weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating too closely or speeding excessively, move over a few lanes and get out of their way.
- Report dangerous drivers. If possible, call local police when you spot a driver operating their vehicle particularly recklessly. If a truck driver is the one doing the reckless driving, call the number of the back of their trailer and report it to their employer.
- Always wear your seat belt and encourage your passengers to do the same. Seat belts can go a long way in preventing injury in the event an accident occurs.
- Give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination. That way, you don’t feel rushed, and you’re not pressured to speed, take shortcuts, or put yourself and your passengers in danger by breaking traffic laws.
- Never drive distracted. Don’t talk, text, or eat while driving, and put your passengers in charge of the radio. This ensures you won’t cause an accident because of distracted driving, and it enables you to be on the top of your game in case you encounter a reckless driver while on the road.
- Be aware. Always be alert and aware when you’re behind the wheel. Never drive tired or under the influence of drugs and alcohol. You need to be ready to respond to the conditions of the road and the drivers around you in order to prevent accidents.
Despite the safety precautions you may take, you still could fall victim to a reckless driving accident. When this happens, you may be due compensation. Contact a San Antonio personal injury lawyer at the Law Offices of Pat Maloney today to begin discussing your legal options.
Do you agree that most accident in Malaysia is due to reckless driving? I strongly agree that most accident in Malaysia is due to reckless driving. Nowadays, many accidents happened in Malaysia are caused by many factors especially the mistakes did by the road users. Besides, the road accident in Malaysia is seriously increasing daily by daily or yearly by yearly. Moreover, government has launched many road safety campaigns but the effect is only reducing a little amount of the accidents. However, the accident rates are still increasing. The main factor that causes accidents in Malaysia is due to the reckless driving of the drivers which is driving while drunk.
The road users is in the unconsciously condition where it will cause the driver to drive dangerously. When people is in the unconsciously condition, they will dare to drive even though it is dangerous. Besides, government has warned the road users not to drive drunken but it has been ignored. Besides, reckless driving also caused by bad weather. When road user is driving under bad weather such as raining, it will reduce the driver’s sight efficiency. People can’t see properly under raining. Therefore, driver could not drive properly during raining day. Beside on the rainy day, the road is also slippery and it’s hard to control the vehicles.
Furthermore, some drivers who believed in their driving skills would like to speed under this bad condition. Thus, this causes accident. Moreover, reckless driving also cause by driver’s emotion. Some road users might feel bad due to some factors and yet they are still driving. These will seriously causing accident because when driver is emotional, they will speed up without knowing what they are doing. Psychologically explains that this is because the driver is thinking or worrying about something.